Reflections on Future EU Internal Security
At its meeting on 7 June 2019, the home affairs ministers of the EU Member States began discussing the future of EU policy in the area of internal security, especially law enforcement cooperation. The ministers concurred on the following fields of action:
- Effectively implementating existing legislation, particularly the recently agreed interoperability framework;
- Improving data connection and analysis;
- Pooling resources in research and innovation and building a technology hub;
- Working on a stronger framework for operational cooperation;
- Ensuring a sustainable financial outlook and investing in innovation for internal security, in particular providing Europol with the necessary resources.
The discussion will be continued in more detail during the upcoming Finnish Presidency of the Council.