EPPO and ECA Sign Working Arrangement
On 3 September 2021, the EPPO and the European Court of Auditors (ECA) signed a working arrangement. Both bodies emphasise their common interest in the effective fight against fraud, corruption and any other criminal offence or illegal activity adversely affecting the EU’s financial interests as well as the need to receive appropriate information so that they can fulfil their respective mandates. Therefore, the arrangement sets out a structured framework for cooperation and the establishment of a cooperative relationship between the EPPO and the ECA. The arrangement includes the following:
- Designation of permanent contact points for the exchange of information;
- Transmission of information from the ECA to the EPPO that is relevant for the EPPO to exercise its competence and investigative powers;
- Access to relevant information in ECA’s databases;
- Precautionary measures by the ECA so that the EPPO can pursue its investigations;
- Specific provisions on EPPO’s investigations involving ECA members or staff;
- Information duties by the EPPO regarding dismissals and transfers of cases;
- Information exchange in the context of ECA’s audits concerning the EPPO;
- Cooperation on trainings and workshops and exchange of staff.
The two bodies also agreed to meet on a regular basis.