Cooperation Tools with South Partner Countries
In order to further implement the EuroMed Justice (EMJ) programme (→ news of 29 November 2020), the CrimEx expert group is developing a series featuring six key tools for judicial and law enforcement cooperation with the programme’s South partner countries, i.e., Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, and Tunisia. These tools include:
- A cross-Mediterranean legal and gap analysis on the transfer of e-evidence in criminal matters;
- A tool for the protection of personal data in judicial cooperation between South partner countries and EU Member States;
- A mechanism for joint investigations, parallel investigations, and the spontaneous exchange of information between South partner countries and judicial authorities in EU Member States;
- A mechanism to guarantee the procedural rights of defendants and victims;
- A tool to enable the confiscation of proceeds of crime and asset recovery;
Guidelines for bilateral agreement(s) on judicial cooperation in criminal matters between South partner countries and EU Member States.