Statement of Principles for Collaboration with Europol
On 5 October 2018, Frontex and Europol signed a Statement of Principles for Collaboration in order to foster their cooperation in the European area of freedom, security and justice, in particular by expanding the exchange of information between the two agencies. The statement also aims at securing two benefits, namely strengthening Europol’s criminal investigations and enhancing Frontex’ border management of the EU’s external borders.
Under the Statement, the agencies agreed, inter alia, on the following:
- Avoid duplication of efforts, identify gaps, and seek for synergies;
- Make use of each other’s capabilities;
- Invest in joint operational support;
- Share and, where possible, develop common procedures;
- Enhance the exchange of information in a proactive and structured way;
- Work together in the development of new capabilities, including in research and in new technologies related to the agencies’ tasks;
- Cooperate at strategic level;
- Coordinate and support one another in respective activities in the external domain, including in preparation of EU and international meetings;
- Invest in providing the best training for their staff.
The two agencies are already working together on a daily basis, including the collaboration in joint operations. The new framework is designed to foster cooperation in fighting other forms of cross-border crime beyond migrant smuggling.