Personnel Changes at the CJEU
The terms of office of 14 judges and six advocates general of the Court of Justice of the EU expired on 6 October 2021 and the terms of office of 23 judges of the General Court expired on 31 August 2021. In October 2021, a series of personnel changes took place at the EU Court of Justice and the General Court. The nominations are part of the partial renewal of their composition.
- For the Court of Justice of the EU, Mr Koen Lenaerts was re-elected to serve as its President from 8 October 2021 to 6 October 2024. Mr Lars Bay Larsen was elected Vice President of the Court of Justice from 8 October 2021 to 6 October 2024. He succeeds Ms Rosario Silva de Lapuerta. Mr Maciej Szpunar was elected First Advocate General of the Court of Justice for the period from 8 October 2021 to 6 October 2024. Lastly, Mr Siniša Rodin, Mr Irmantas Jarukaitis, Mr Niilo Jääskinen, Ms Ineta Ziemele, and Mr Jan Passer were elected Presidents of the Chambers of three judges for a period of one year.
- For the period from 7 October 2021 to 6 October 2027, the terms of office of the following seven judges of the Court of Justice were renewed: Mr Koen Lenaerts, Mr Lars Bay Larsen, Mr Siniša Rodin, Mr François Biltgen, Mr Eugene Regan, Mr Niilo Jääskinen, and Ms Küllike Jürimäe.
- For the same period, the following five new judges of the Court of Justice started their terms of office: Ms Maria Lourdes Arastey Sahún, Mr Zoltán Csehi, Ms Octavia Spineanu-Matei, Mr Miroslav Gavalec, and Mr Dimitrios Gratsias.
- From 7 October 2021 to 6 October 2027, Ms Laila Medina, Mr Nicholas Emiliou, and Ms Tamara Ćapeta will serve as Advocates General of the Court of Justice. In addition, for the period from 7 October 2021 to 6 October 2024, Mr Anthony Collins – former judge at the General Court– will serve as Advocate General of the Court of Justice; he replaces AG Gerard Hogan. Before joining the Court, Ms Medina held the position of Deputy State Secretary for Legal Policy at the Latvian Ministry of Justice. She is taking over from Mr Henrik Saugmandsgaard Øe. Mr Emiliou was Permanent Representative of the Republic of Cyprus to the EU, hee succeeds AG Michal Bobek. Ms Ćapeta looks back on a longstanding academic career with the University of Zagreb and is a founding member the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for which she had served as its coordinator from 2018 to 2021. She replaces AG Evgeni Tanchev.
- With regard to the General Court, Mr Krisztián Kecsmár (Hungary) and Mr Ion Gâlea (Romania) were appointed as judges from 7 October 2021 until 31 August 2022. Furthermore, for the period from 10 September 2021 to 31 August 2025, Mr Pēteris Zilgalvis (former Head of Unit at the European Commission) will be judge of the General Court.