JHA Agencies Response to COVID-19
The nine EU Justice and Home Affairs (JHA) Agencies (CEPOL, EASO, EIGE, EMCDDA, eu-LISA, Eurojust, Europol, FRA, and Frontex) published a joint paper summarising their response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Since its beginning, the Agencies have aimed at supporting EU Member States and institutions to meet the respective operational challenges, to gather expertise and provide analyses, as well as to foster dialogue and learning between key stakeholders. The report outlines the efforts taken by the relevant agencies, inter alia, in the following areas:
- Promoting and protecting fundamental rights and gender equality;
- Managing large-scale IT Systems for Internal Security;
- Managing EU external borders, asylum and migration;
- Informing policy and practice on drugs and drug addiction in Europe;
- Fighting cross-border crime;
- Providing training.
Examples for these efforts include the provision of studies, reports, and surveys on the impact of COVID-19 in the respective areas, together with guidance notes as well as operational support, such as the provision of protective and technical equipment.