It’s the End of the World as We Know ItData Protection and Law Enforcement in a Shifting World Order 9th EDEN Conference on Data Protection in Law Enforcement
|Organizer||Academy of European Law (ERA) in cooperation with Europol's Data Protection Experts Network (EDEN)|
Under the working title “It’s the End of the World as We Know It - Data Protection and Law Enforcement in a Shifting World Order”, the 9th EDEN Conference will focus on the law enforcement challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Russian-Ukrainian War, two events that have changed Europe and the world since 2020. Their consequences on fundamental rights, data protection and cybersecurity from a law enforcement perspective will be discussed, drawing links to Europol’s new mandate whenever appropriate.
The conference will attempt to approach the two events from a fundamental rights and data protection perspective, whilst raising awareness about the challenges the law enforcement sector has experienced during the last three years. In particular, the 9th EDEN Conference intends to cover topics related to:
- war crimes investigations, EU sanctions and the Europol mandate in the context of the Russian-Ukrainian War
- fake news in the context of the Ukrainian crisis and its implications on war crimes investigations
- fundamental rights and the amended Europol mandate
- use of immersive technologies to advance the professionalisation of local police teams
- emerging threats and challenges for law enforcement in the context of both the pandemic and the Ukrainian crisis
- new trends in Artificial Intelligence, cybersecurity and data protection.