International Extradition and the European Arrest Warrant Advanced Seminar
|Venue||Hotel Cocca, Via Predore, 75, 24067 Sarnico BG / Lago d'Iseo, Italy|
|Link||III edition extradition seminar 2018|
|Contact||Prof. Stefano Maffei|
In 2002, the EU replaced traditional extradition - based upon bilateral treaties - with the European Arrest Warrant (EAW). 16 years later, a two-day advanced seminar investigates current worldwide developments in extradition law.
- Basics of EU Law and ECHR Law;
- Bilateral extradition treaties v. the “European Arrest Warrant” system;
- Comparative extradition law;
- Domestic and International case-law on the EAW;
- How to challenge an extradition request and the rights of fugitive suspects;
- Famous extradition cases (Assange, Polanski, Pinochet, etc.);
- Unlawful and disguised forms of extradition (i.e. extraordinary rendition, expulsion of aliens).
The seminar is ideal for: criminal defence attorneys, federal and state udges, prosecutors, federal law enforcement, academic lawyers with an interest in criminal justice, human rights and comparative law.
What you will bring home:
- In-depth knowledge of extradition and EAW law;
- Review of recent developments in extradition case-law;
- ECJ, ECHR and selected domestic Supreme Courts
- A set of skills for extradition cases;
- A set of “lines of argument” for extradition cases;
- Useful extradition material, including cases, literature and samples of authentic EAWs;
- A network of colleagues expert in extradition-related matters.