FIDE Congress in Sofia
|Venue||National Palace of Culture / Sofia, Bulgaria|
FIDE (the International Federation for European law), established in 1961, is a unique and influential forum for bringing together highly experienced judges, lawyers and academics from all over Europe and beyond to discuss – and often shape – the European legal order. Over the past 60 years, FIDE congresses have garnered attention from highly distinguished patrons, both at EU and national level.
The focus of the 2023 edition of the congress will be the constitutional identity of the European Union, its economic model and social dimension and the three main topics are the following:
· Topic I - Mutual Trust, Mutual Recognition and the Rule of Law
· Topic II - The new geopolitical dimension of the EU competition and trade policies
· Topic III - European Social Union
Prominent speakers have already confirmed their participation at the plenary sessions of the congress:
· Koen Lenaerts, President of the Court of Justice of the European Union
· Marc van der Woude, President of the General Court of the European Union
· Stephan Harbarth, President of the German Federal Constitutional Court
· Serhiy Holovaty, Chief Justice of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine
· Guy Verhofstadt, Member of the European Parliament, Co-Chair of the Conference on the Future of Europe
The parallel panel discussion on the three topics of the congress will be divided in 6 sessions with the participation of the general and institutional rapporteurs. The general rapporteurs, are distinguished and highly experienced lawyers from private practice and academia, while the institutional rapporteurs shape the EU institutions policies and legal positions.
Details concerning the 2023 FIDE congress can be found on the congress website.